Thursday, March 27, 2008

Family or Education?

Dear Gabby,

My boyfriend and I finally got engaged. I’m very excited. I’m 18 now, and finished high school, and I’d like to go to university to further my education, but my fiancee wants me to stay at home and raise a family. I want to raise a family too, but not right away, what I really want right now is to go to university. What should I tell him?

Still Young,

Dear Still Young,

Tell him that you love him and have every intention of starting a family with him after you finish your degree. It’s not his call, it’s yours, and he needs to understand that, and if he pressures you into starting it early, there’s a chance you’ll always hold it against him. If you start a family now, you won’t get much chance to get out of the house until your youngest is in high school, so if you’re going to do university, now’s the time. Be firm about this and make sure he understands the sacrifice you’d be making.