Sunday, March 16, 2008

Stanley from the Office

Dear Gabby,

I think I’m Stanley from NBC’s the Office. Every day I come into work, and my boss “Michael” tries to make me laugh, but he just makes me mad. He’s actually a very nice boss, but I can’t stand him. The other day he made like he was trying to shine my head, (I’m bald), and I was just about ready to deck him. Do I need an attitude adjustment, or does he?

Stanley

Dear Stanley,

There’s nothing wrong with Stanley, he’s actually one of my favorite characters, because of his snarky, witty comebacks, and I feel for him because he stoically rolls with the punches. So if you’re like him, be proud of that.

As for your boss, there is a difference between having fun with someone, and having fun at their expense. If you have an HR rep at your office, perhaps you can speak with him about possibly getting “Michael” some sensitivity training. If he’s really as nice as you say, then he’ll probably see the error of his ways and will likely want to make it up to you, which, unfortunately, might be even more annoying.