Friday, March 21, 2008

Are all men like that?

Dear Blackheart,

I’ve had a string of really bad relationships since high school, and I don’t know what to do about it. I got stood up at prom. One guy almost sexually assaulted me in his car after our first and only date. A number of them cheated on me – not one, but two of them with my best friend.

I’m a little shy when it comes to these things, so I tend only to meet guys through other friends of mine. I’m wondering if I’m missing something. These guys just seems to use me, and cheat on me when they get bored of me.

Are all men like that?

You sound like the female version of me, minus the sexual assault part.

All men are not like anything, unless you count required mammalian traits like eating and breathing.

The one thing that all of the men you’ve dated have in common is you. That said, I’m not going to insult you by suggesting that you’re the problem, but you need to realize that you tend to select men who A) have already dated your friends, B) are the guys your friends don’t want, and C) are probably full of themselves, and rather shallow.

Many of my circle of friends would never cheat on a woman, (or a man), so if your primary source are guys you meet through your circle of friends who seem to pass from girl to girl, maybe you need to start dating outside the circle. Try picking up a hobby like yoga or kung-fu. There are lots of people from all walks of life there.

And also, cheating takes two. Give your “best friend” a little credit there, and dump her sorry ass too. With friends like that, who needs enemies?